This delicious, cheesy side dish is a perfect accompaniment for any meal.
6 each fennel bulb
2 cup fat free reduced sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
3 tbsp Bread Crumbs, plain, grated, dry
1 pinch salt
- Cut stalks from fennel, saving approximately 1 cup of the fennel fronds. Slice off roots, any damaged parts, and rough fibers from fennel bulbs. Wash and divide each head in half from stem through root end.
- Place fennel halves in a large frying pan and cover with broth. Cover pan and, over high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue to simmer until fennel is fork tender, about 20 minutes. Move fennel to a 2-2 1/2 quart casserole dish; cut side up, reserving broth in frying pan.
- Continue to boil broth until reduced to 1/3 cup. Roughly chop reserved cup of fennel fronds and combine half with remaining broth. Ladle mix ture evenly over fennel.
- Combine cheese and bread crumbs and scatter evenly over fennel.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree oven F for 25 to 35 minutes. Cheese should be golden brown and bubbling; fennel should be hot. Sprinkle with remainder of the fennel fronds. Season with salt to taste, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Total Fat 2.3g
Total Carbohydrates 10g
Dietary Fiber 4g