Have you ever known someone who is so negative it makes it difficult to be around them? Negativity gets in the way of your own productivity and can be contagious. In fact, often negativity can take over your life and you aren’t even aware. It’s perfectly normal to be in a bad mood now and the, but sometimes you are so overwhelmingly negative that it gets in the way of reaching your goals. This happens with weight loss too. Yet, coincidentally, losing weight can unlock happiness that multiplies and positively affects your life in many ways such as a sense of accomplishment, increased self-esteem, improvement in health problems and a sense that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to…and then some!
Your goals and dreams are a wonderful possibility. The journey may be daunting but with a positive attitude, goals and a realistic plan of action you are on your way. When you are negative though, the whole game stops abruptly and your old negativity can take over. You tell yourself that you can’t or don’t think you can reach your goal so why bother trying? However, you can take steps to get out of your negativity trap and change your manner of thinking. Here are some strategies that work:
- Self-talk – You “talk” to yourself throughout the day. You’re forming opinions, deciding what to do, and determining your self-worth. Correct the way you think by paying close attention to your self-talk and rather than talking to yourself about what difficulties, problems and/or failures you are up against and sure to experience, focus on how much you are going to accomplish today. Review your “written” goals and “written” plan and determine a schedule for you that will keep you from falling into negative habits.
- Glass Half Full – You may think those around you that look for the silver lining in every situation are annoying but deep inside, you are likely envious because these people seem to end up accomplishing more and enjoying life to its fullest. The positive is always there waiting for you to discover it. Don’t wallow in negative energy. Know that you have the power to find a positive light or direction in every situation. You can’t wait for someone else to do it for you. Take control of your thoughts and think glass half full rather than half empty. You will be amazed at what will follow.
- Decrease Your Stress – Easier said than done! However, remember that negativity arises out of stressful situations. Focus on how to streamline your life and decrease the number of stressful situations you are involved in. This may cause you to say “no” at times. This is ok – especially during the early stages until you have your negative ways turned into positive ones.
- Pause/Then Act – When faced with a difficult situation, give yourself time to think and consider the best actions. This includes pausing before you speak your mind. If you slow down, consider your possible actions (not reactions), you will generally make a wise choice and be able to turn a negative situation into a positive one.
- Focus on Your Strengths – Affirm the good in yourself and what you do. Sometimes we can go an entire day, week or month without positive feedback but that doesn’t mean you aren’t worthwhile or doing a good job. You know yourself best. Write down these positive thoughts/accomplishments and review them every day. Your mind is a very powerful thing! If you continuously nurture it with positivity, you can’t help but become more positive.