Summer has officially started, the kids are finished with another year of school, and you’re planning a much-needed, relaxing vacation. Perhaps you’ve lost a few pounds, feel healthier than last year, and are ready to put on those new shorts!
Packing, traveling, airports, sight-seeing, sleeping in unfamiliar places….it can leave you feeling exhausted! As fabulous as the getaway sounds, your vacation could be sabotaged if you’re too tired to enjoy it.
Don’t forget how hard you’ve worked to achieve a healthier lifestyle. Getting sufficient rest is an integral part of that new lifestyle. Less sleep means more health problems. Sleep deprivation often causes you to reach for comfort foods. Leptin is a hormone that tells your brain when to stop eating. It’s less abundant when you’re sleep deprived. The hormone ghrelin tells you when to eat, and is more abundant when you’ve haven’t gotten enough Zzzzzzzz’s.
Strategies for ensuring enough rest before and during vacation:
- Plan Ahead: don’t wait until the last minute to pack or finish a work project.
- Plan for Rest: fit rest times into your vacation.
- Stick to a Sleep Schedule: go to bed and get up at the same time each day.
- Maintain Sleep Rituals: bring your favorite pillow, blanket, or relaxing reading material.
- Bring your Sleep Aids: noise machine, fan, sleep mask, or ear plugs.
Have a great time!