I have to ask you to answer this question honestly – “Are you ready for weight loss?” You need to really think about this before you can expect to be successful. Otherwise, your lack of readiness will be an obstacle that is rarely overcome.
Let’s take it another step further. If you want to lose weight and improve your health but find that deep down you really don’t want to change your behaviors, then you must ask yourself…Why? Is it fear of failure? Is it fear of success? Is it too much work? We are all resistant to change to some degree. We all have our own unique “barriers” that keep us from what we want. What are yours?
You may just want a quick fix. If so, we can help you do that. However, why just get a quick fix when you can lose weight/improve your health and learn how to make positive changes for life? You’ve heard it before “if you keep on doing what you’ve always done you will get the same results”. Knowing that you need to change is one thing…doing it is another. So what do you do?
Think about it. You choose to make changes every day (you move, you get married, you start a family, you face challenges, change jobs and more). Certainly these changes aren’t easy but you make them. Why is losing weight often harder? I think it may be that you don’t resist change…what you resist is BEING changed. Sometimes the only way you feel in control is to resist the change. So what do you do?
1. Freely choose (for yourself) to lose weight. When you freely choose, you OWN your decision.
2. Define the outcome you want (important to YOU, write it down, list the reasons for changing and review them often).
3. Design a plan to achieve your goal (often the most difficult part). Describe what you will do to achieve your goal(s). We are great at helping you do this and keeping you accountable.
4. Choose alternate pathways when necessary as long as they lead you to the same destination (especially as it relates to food/activity choices). Remember that detours are a part of the journey – don’t give up on your destination just because you get a little “off track”.
5. Write down your specific goals.
6. Plan, plan, plan and plan some more. (Write it down and leave little room for error)
7. Recruit support and make a plan for dealing with saboteurs.
Your destiny lies in your hands. Weight loss barriers are out there but we are here to help and I can assure you the outcome is worth the journey!