It’s tough enough planning what to eat at home so what should we do when we leave the house? PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!
- The more you prepare ahead of time, the fewer choices there will be to tempt you. Often restaurants will post their menus on-line. You could also visit the restaurant ahead of time and ask to see the menu.
- Try going to restaurants that have easy low carbohydrate food choices where foods such as steak and salad come separately. The more ingredients a meal has the more difficult it is to figure out.
- Look for fairly plain meat with vegetables and /or salad.
- Ask for extra veggies instead of potato or fries and always substitute salad and veggies for sides like fries and macaroni salad.
- Pick a sandwich that looks good and ask for the “innards’ to be placed on a salad instead.
- Order a burger or steak sandwich without the bun. Have a salad on the side.
- If a restaurant serves breakfast all day, order an omelet for lunch or dinner and ask for low carbohydrate veggies like spinach peppers and mushrooms. Have fruit on the side.
- Ask for no bread basket or chip bowl or keep it far away from you at the table.
- Keep away from ordering any fried food.
- If you must, take a small taste of something from your table-mate’s plate so that you don’t feel deprived.
- Order confidently and politely. Imagine that you are somebody with a medical condition and you can’t eat certain things. Most chefs are very accommodating.
Need more suggestions on how to make good choices when eating out? Get in touch with us today to find out how we can help you with your weight loss journey.