Even the kids love it!
4 medium zucchini
1 lb. ground beef (or use turkey for less fat)
2 cups baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jar pasta sauce (look for low sugar)
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
1 egg, slightly beaten
15 oz fat-free ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into ¼ inch planks. Spray each side with cooking spray and place them on a wire rack over a baking sheet. Broil for 10-12 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Brown ground turkey, onion, garlic and mushrooms in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in seasonings, pasta sauce and tomato sauce.
- Combine egg and ricotta cheese in small bowl.
- Spread 1 cup of meat sauce into greased 9×13 baking dish. Top with zucchini slices and half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Sprinkle with ¾ cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat the process ending with sauce on top.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Makes 12 servings
Total Fat 8g
Total Carbohydrates 15g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Print Recipe: Zucchini Lasagna